Fluidampr 800191 Replacement Harmonic Damper 6.2L and 6.5L Diesel with a Mechanical Fuel Pump
The Fluidamper 800191 viscous harmonic damper applications:
1982 to 1993 Chevrolet and GMC C/K series trucks
1992 to 1993 AM General Hummer H1
1982 to 1993 AM General HMMWV
GM version of the CUCV
1982 to 1993 Chevrolet Van
Features of the Fluidampr 800191 replacement vibration damper:
Harmonic Balancer is a viscous fluid vibration damper that automatically adapts to your modifications.
Continuously self-tunes in real time to optimum damping at both peak levels and across a broad changing frequency range.
Dyno-Proven to Increase Horsepower and Torque
Avoid Costly Engine Damage and Repairs
Heavy Duty Black Zinc Finish
Viscous Damper provides Critical Protection for High Performance Engines!
Silicone Gel is 45,000 times more viscous than 10W-30 Motor Oil!
Fluidampr 800191 6.2L and 6.5L External Harmonic Diesel Damper Specifications:
Material = Steel
Coated with a Black Zinc Finish for corrosion protection
8" Outside Diameter
Unit Weighs 23 pounds.
Balance = External
Housing has external timing/degree marks at 90, 180, and 270 degrees.
Benefits obtained with the installation of a new Chevy/GM Fluidampr High Performance Harmonic Diesel Damper:
Protect your engine from the destructive torsional vibrations
Increase Torque and Horsepower
Smooth out engine operation
Reduced wear on the main bearings and timing gear
Ensure a more stable valvetrain operation
Lessen the chance of a crankshaft failure
Save your crank & more by installing a new Fluidampr 800191 Performance Diesel Series Damper for the 6.2L & 6.5L 1982 to 1993 Harmonic Diesel Damper today. The Fluidampr 800191 harmonic damper contains only three parts a laser-welded sealed housing, an internal inertia ring, and highly viscous silicone fluid between the two parts. These dampers are built in America at an ISO 9001 accredited facility.
Product Application: 1982 to 1993 GM 6.2L and 6.5L Diesel engines with Mechanical Fuel Pump.
FAQ: Is this replacement damper a direct bolt-on component? Yes, the Fluidampr 800191 Viscous Crankshaft Vibration Damper is designed as a direct factory replacement damper. No modification is required for the installation of this high-performance crank damper.
Part Number: 800191
Product Note: Installation of the Fluidampr 800191 on your 6.2L or 6.5L Chevy /GM Diesel will not only protect your engine from destructive torsional vibrations it will provide a dramatic reduction in the level of in-cab vibrations you experience.
The Original Fluidampr Performance Diesel Installation
Step 1 – Tools & Procedures
• Proper key if required
• Anti-seize compound
• Removal & installation tool if required (Damage from improper installation will void your warranty)
• Do not use hammers/pry bars or heat to install or remove Fluidampr. (This will void your warranty and may cause engine damage)
• Honing or machining Fluidampr bore is not recommended (on applicable applications). A diametrical press fit (on press fit only dampers) of .0005” - .0015” is recommended for proper damper function. Using a micrometer, make sure to measure the crank snout and inner bore of Fluidampr to assure a proper fit.
• Sufficient torque wrench (see torque specs on page 2), fan removal tools, flywheel holding tool (if required).
CAUTION: For high horsepower applications we recommend the following:
Cummins 5.9L 6.7L Under 700HP/1250 ft⋅lb Fluidampr High Strength
Bolt Kit 300007
1989-2002 Cummins Under 700HP/1250 ft⋅lb Fluidampr High Strength
5.9L Fluidampr w/.350” Bolt Kit 300009
Duramax 6.6L 500 HP & Above Fluidamper High Strength
Bolt Kit 300010
Fluidampr recommends 750+ HP applications to recheck bolt torque after every run/pull
*If you need assistance determining which flange type you have, please contact Fluidampr tech Support.
Step 2 – Balancing - Internally and Externally Balanced Engines
REPLACING THE DAMPER
Fluidampr counterweights for external balanced engines have been designed to OEM specifications. If the damper being replaced has never been altered, Fluidampr can be installed with no additional balancing. (see page 2 for whether your Fluidampr is internally or externally balanced)
BALANCING OR MATCH BALANCING
o Each Fluidampr component is precision balanced during manufacturing. NO additional balancing is required.
o DO NOT ATTEMPT TO BALANCE THE CRANKSHAFT WITH FLUIDAMPR INSTALLED. The inertia ring inside a Fluidampr is balanced to a close tolerance at the factory. It rotates inside the damper.
o DO NOT DRILL FLUIDAMPR – The inertia ring and silicone fluid are in a hermetically sealed housing. Drilling may cause the damper to leak and lead to damper failure, voiding the warranty.
o If balancing the crankshaft is required, install the stock damper while balancing.
Step 3 – Removal
• Remove fan and shroud as per manufacturer’s instructions, draw sketch of belt routing if required and remove the accessory drive belt.
• Dodge Cummins 5.9L (1992 to 1998). BEFORE REMOVING THE STOCK DAMPER, rotate the engine so that the magnetic pick up is not on one of the notches in the outside diameter of the stock damper. If you do not have access to the gap spec, use a feeler gage to measure and record the gap between the magnetic pick up and the stock damper.
• Remove the stock damper per factory/service manual instructions.
Step 4 – Fluidampr Installation
o On engines that the damper slides or presses onto the crankshaft, carefully remove burrs, scratches, or nicks on the crank snout by filing or polishing the snout so that it is smooth and free of surface irregularities. Remove any sharp keyway corners. The key should fit snugly in the keyway on the crank. A heavy press fit creates high stress on the slot and should be avoided. Replace or modify the key if it is too tight or too loose. For bolt-on dampers, clean crankshaft threads, crankshaft mating surface and center pilot thoroughly before installation.
o Cummins installation notes:
• Fluidampr P/N 920301 includes tone wheel. Remove OEM tone wheel prior to Fluidampr installation.
• Fluidampr P/N 920301/920321/980301 – Install damper w/ the smaller of the (2) pin holes on the crankshaft pin. Check crankshaft thread depth to ensure proper bolt length prior to installation.
• Thread bolts into crankshaft fully with washer installed. Space between washer and crankshaft should be less than 0.495” (Fluidampr flange thickness with integrated tone wheel). If the length is over 0.495”, contact Fluidampr Tech Service. Minimum thread engagement = .750”
o Coat crankshaft snout and damper bore with anti-seize compound or moly grease to prevent galling during installation.
o Fluidampr P/N 760131 comes with a hardened crankshaft washer with clearance for the GM 3.200” bolt circle pattern, this replaces the factory crankshaft bolt washer.
o For Ford Power Stroke 6.0L: The belt must be routed between the Fluidampr and the water pump pulley before the Fluidampr is installed.
o Install the Fluidampr and torque the bolt or bolts properly as per the original manufacturers’ torque or torque to yield requirements. Consult a dealer to determine if your application is torque to yield, see below chart for torque specs.
o Fluidampr recommends that crank bolt(s) always be replaced with new OEM or Fluidampr bolt kits.
o Install the accessory drive belt, fan and shroud as per manufacturer’s instructions. Re-torque crankshaft bolt(s) after engine warm-up cycle.
Part# Balance Engine Fitment Years OEM Bolt Torque*
720211 External Ford 7.3L 1999 – 2003 212 Ft-Lbs.
720221 External Ford 7.3L 1994 – 1997 212 Ft-Lbs.
(See #4NFJ for fan spacer installation instructions)
870201 External Ford 6.0L 2003 – 2007 50 Ft-Lbs. plus an additional 90 degrees*
870211 External Ford 6.0L 2003 – 2007 50 Ft-Lbs. plus an additional 90 degrees*
800211 External Ford 6.4L 2008 – 2010 50 Ft-Lbs. plus an additional 90 degrees*
800221 External Ford 6.7L 2011 – Present 22 Ft-Lbs. plus an additional 90 degrees*
(See #4NFH for sensor relocation kit installation instructions)
960341 Internal Dodge Cummins 5.9L/6.7L Competition Series 92 Ft-Lbs.
980301 Internal Dodge Cummins 5.9L/6.7L Competition Series 92 Ft-Lbs.
WARNING: FAILURE TO USE PROPERLY TORQUED BOLTS WILL VOID WARRANTY AND COULD RESULT IN DAMPER, KEY, OR CRANK DAMAGE. ONLY USE THESE TORQUE VALUES WHEN INSTALLING DAMPER WITH OEM BOLTS. *BOLTS ARE TORQUE TO YIELD AND NEW BOLTS MUST BE USED EVERYTIME